Jalapeno poppers for everyyyone! The all-inclusive popper – ok not for the vegetarians. Really this is a dairy-free recipe I made because I’m deeply sad every time I see a cream cheese stuffed jalapeno on the menu that I have to pass up. SO – I made some myself and they satisfied a craving that has been building for YEARS.
Before we get started – I want to note that Jalapeno shows up as a misspelling every time I type it. I mean – can we just add it to the dictionary Microsoft/Apple/Internet world? I just typed NACHO and that is recognized… Help me out here. If only I could figure out how to type the little squiggly at the top, maybe it would understand.
Ya, it’s hard to even call this one a recipe. It’s so simple. Semi-spicy jalapeno, the PERFECT dairy-free cream cheese, and chorizo. You can probably use any dairy-free cream cheese but this recipe is perfection thanks to Kite Hill. (They also have a chive cream cheese that you can mix with smoked salmon and its an instant dip).
Next time you are having people over, or just feeling like you need a little self-love, go ahead and make these and be happy. Think of Applebees and Chili’s and how you don’t have to sit in a squishy sticky booth and touch those laminated menus. You can have the jalapeno popper effect at home without deep frying or random gross meats.
Where to get chorizo?? I get it at Whole Foods. (Story of my life). They have the in-house made sausage case in the meat section. You can buy two links and then open them up and crumble.
You could easily prep these ahead of time. Let the chorizo cool and then assemble and cover tightly. Pull them out and bake them when its time to PARTY.
Note that I didn’t actually eat all these alone in my kitchen myself – I saved a few and brought them to work for my lunch the next day. There is something intrinsically sad about microwaving a plate of jalapeno poppers (for one) in your office breakroom – but I did it. In the name of NO-WASTE!
Dairy-Free Jalapeno Poppers with Chorizo
- 1/2 lb mexican chorizo
- 6 large jalapenos
- 1/2 cup dairy-free cream cheese
- green onions, - sliced
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Brown chorizo in a skillet (if you bought links, cut them open and break up the sausage to brown it).
- Halve the jalapenos longways and scrape out the seeds and veins. Pack each one with cream cheese.Note: I use Kite Hill. Its the BEST. Taste and texture is perfect and it is soy-free.
- Once the chorizo is done smoosh as much as you can pack on top of each half of 'peno. (press it into the cream cheese to get it to stick.
- Place them on a baking sheet and bake for 12-15minutes. Top with green onions and try not to eat all of them. Or do. Game on.