Meatless Monday tastin super fresh with this crunchy-salty-sweet kale salad! We’re loving this salad for a quick weeknight dinner OR Sunday meal prep. Fruit has a home in salad AND on pizza, people. Surrender to it.
Why try a Meatless Monday:
- Saves money! – with one package of organic/antibiotic free chicken at about $9 you can buy yourself TWO lattes, TWO gallons of gas, 5 LBS of rice, 9 apples, 4 bus rides, 1/4th of a pedicure. Times that by 4 weeks and you have $36 which is basically a new shirt. Or some mittens.
- Makes room for more plants – if you don’t have 6oz of animal protein on your plate – what cha gonna fill it with? Rice, quinoa, sweet potatoes, broccoli, arugula, tofu, etc. Max out those greens and then add in some complex carbs!
- Breaks habit – eating meat is kind of just a habit. I mean NO DOUBT it also tastes bomb. But also, it just feels weird at first to not have it. Like something is missing. You can’t break that habit unless you give it a try. Make a new normal. At least on Mondays 😉
- Animal protein is hard on the environment – it’s true. Greenhouse gases, degradation of massive areas of land for growing feed, water use, etc. One pound of ground beef wasn’t from one lone cow. There were thousands and thousands of cows that all had to be fed. To do anything in large scale you have to systemize and processes become less natural and more mechanical. One example: buying organic produce is awesome. But what about your meat? Your average beef cow was fed feed, grow using chemical fertilizers. Its super hard to distance yourself from this stuff. We’re not perfect. But we can at least be aware. Take pause and just consider maybe this IS a big issue. Maybe its NOT just a bunch of animal lovers.
Anyhoo – all that aside – this salad is CRAZY TASTY. Salty, sweet, and a little spice. I’m in love with it. Check the notes below for how I’ve jazzed it up even more. Add whatever else you like!
The Big Salad is the key to healthy eating, I swear. No easier way to Eat the Rainbow than to throw all those colors in a bowl, douse them with healthy fat (EVOO) and some fermented foods (vinegar). Sprinkle with sea salt or pink salt – added minerals. WOAH you health nut, you!
Tangy peppers, sweet blueberries, crunchy pepitas, and chewy kale make the perfect healthy vegan salad!
- 2 cups lacinato kale, washed, stems removed, and chopped
- 4 oz organic, non-gmo tempeh
- granulated garlic
- ground ginger
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- sea salt
- 1-2 tbsp Mama Lil's Pickled Peppers
- 1-3 tbsp Everything Bagel Pumpkin Seeds
- 1-2 tbsp acv
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
Prep your kale, place in a bowl and add oil and vinegar.
Massage that kale! Give it a good squish all over with clean hands.
While that sits, heat some coconut or olive oil in a frying pan over med-high and crumble your tempeh into the pan.
Cook tempeh, stirring occasionally, until it is getting brown and crispy in parts.
Add garlic, ginger, and salt to taste. I like mine pretty seasoned. A good shake all over.
Assemble! Add tempeh, peppers, bluebs and pumpkin seeds to the bowl and dig in.
Skip step one. Let tempeh cool, then assemble everything without oil or vinegar.
Tip: I keep a bottle of ACV and a bottle of olive oil in my desk. It's practically liberating to never search for those baby tupperwares again.
1 heaping tbsp of coconut oil to a frying pan (I do this before or after the tempeh, no need to wash!) over med-high heat.
Add 1/2c pumpkin seeds
Stir frequently while they toast. When you start to hear them pop, shake a TON of Everything Bagel Seasoning in there and stir for 30 more seconds. Transfer onto a plate so they will cook quickly.
Options to JAZZ up your salad even more:
- Add sliced shittake or portabello mushrooms to the tempeh.
- Add farro, wheat berries, or bulgar to make a grain salad.
- Add thinly sliced basil.