I just love cold protein “salad” as an easy workday snack or an easy dinner. Chicken salad takes a bit more forethought and preparation so this an awesome alternative for when you’ve got a hankering for chicken salad and but are feeling lazy or maybe just cheap! Buffalo Chickpea Salad or Buffalo Garbanzo Bean salad, as you may call it, is crunchy and tangy, filling and affordable!
I tried a buffalo garbanzo bean salad at a natural grocery store in Fishkill, NY. We went to a wedding h\near there and stopped in this store in search of snacks for our hotel room. Their cold case had a few salad options and I loved the idea of a protein packed snack to hold me over until dinner. It was pretty bomb – but I missed the nutty sweetness that almonds and walnuts add to some of the best chicken salads. This is my version, and its jam packed with fresh crunchy veggies, healthy fats (and some less so ;)), and cheap plant-based protein.
Buffalo chickpea salad is great right out of the bowl or you can jazz it up on lettuce cups and make it a meal. Those “live” butter lettuce heads (you know, the ones with the roots still attached) make for the perfect cup style lettuce wrap. You could also use romaine, or just pile it on greens. I think it would be excellent with arugula! Om nom nom – enjoy!
Buffalo Chickpea Salad
- 1 can garbanzo beans, - rinsed and drained
- 1 medium red bell pepper, - diced
- 2-3 stalks celery, - diced
- 1/2 medium shallot, diced - (about 2 tbsp)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp avocado oil mayo - (I used Primal Kitchen brand)
- 2 tbsp buffalo sauce, - (Franks or Tessamae's are my fave)
- 1/3 cup walnuts, - chopped
- 1 tbsp chives, - minced
- Drain your beans in a colander and rise thoroughly. I suggest letting them drain for a bit or laying them out over a paper towel to dry them off - this keeps your salad "dressing" from getting to watery.
- Combine all diced veggies, beans, garlic powder, mayo, and buffalo sauce in a bowl. Mix to combine. Add pepper to taste (I didn't add more than one or two turns of the pepper grinder). Add walnuts and chives, combine.
- Remove your cups from the butter lettuce head, wash, and pat dry. Spoon one or two spoonfuls into each cut and top with additional chives if you want to impress yourself!