Holy dairy-free DELIGHT! I’m telling you this is dairy-free chicken and rice for people who love their milk and cheese. And there’s two cups of spinach? Sneaky greens allll day.
But first – Thursday is for thoughts! Here’s three:
- I’m watching Thursday night football and the kicker just missed three in a row. I can BARELY WATCH IT. Wahhh poor guy. He looks like he’s having the worst night. I hope his teammates are being nice to him. There is one type of football fan who yells, “WHAT A LOSER!” at the screen in this type of situation (I’ll give you a hint he’s sitting next to me and he only has two legs). This is the worst type of fan.
- This weekend we’re getting massages AND trying cryotherapy! I’m stoked. At first we thought we should try to get as sore as possible at the gym to test the effectiveness of the cryotherapy. But then I realized the massage would hurt if I was sore. So, BUMMERR I better not go to the gym today. Or tomorrow. I’m so disappointed. Am I?
- My fave podcast The Food Blogger Pro podcast had Kate from Cookie + Kate on recently. As a fellow introvert, her perspective on social media and blogging was super encouraging. Check out the episode here. But to the point – Kate talked about how she loves yoga because she can just show up and be told what to do for an hour. This is the exact reason why I like yoga too! Which is funny because generally, I hate not being in control. But yoga is the best type of surrender. Cooking from a recipe feels the same to me. Buy what’s on the recipe, follow the steps, and you’ll be rewarded with dinner…and maybe even leftovers people!! Does it get any better??
So here ya go. Shop, cook, eat – no decision making required. This creamy chicken and rice is not mushy because of the brown rice. It stays chewy and textured, and the chicken thighs hold their shape rather than falling apart.
Many dairy free recipes are creamy and rich but they require fake cheeses and fake sour creams. You’d never know that this uses coconut cream to get the milky texture. Using whole ingredients makes your insides happy. I promise.
Note: I tried this with a couple kinds of rice – short-grain brown rice is KEY! You can probably sub the rice type and it will cook quicker but you’ll need less liquid and it will be more mushy. This way its more like a risotto.
Dairy-Free Creamy Chicken and Rice with Spinach
- 1 lb boneless chicken thighs, fat trimmed and sliced 1/2" thick
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1 cup artichoke hearts, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 cup short grain brown rice*
- 1 can coconut milk, full fat
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 2 cups spinach leaves, packed
- Toss chicken with 1/2 tsp salt, black pepper, and chili flakes.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil in a large sauce pan or dutch oven over med-high heat. Brown chicken 2-4 minutes per side in two batches, if needed.
- Transfer chicken out of pan and add 1/2 tbsp olive oil and onions to chicken browned bits and saute for 2 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds more.
- Add artichokes and browned chicken thigh pieces.
- Add 1 cup short grain brown rice, stir to combine.
- Add 1 can coconut milk, 1 cup of water, and 1 tsp of salt. Turn to high heat.
- Bring to a boil, cover and turn to low.
- Cook for 30 mins.
- Remove, still covered, from heat and let sit for 15 mins off heat.
- Stir in 1/4 cup coconut cream and 2 cups of packed spinach.