These Dairy Free Lemon pudding parfaits are awesome for guests because A) you can make the pudding and cookie crumble ahead and assemble quickly when you want to serve, and B) assembly is foolproof! I am always a total stress case when it come to dessert for guests. Pie shells cracking, cake not rising, tart overcooked… well in this dessert, you want crumbly, cracked cookie bits so you can’t F it up, I promise.
Alternatively, and as was the case for me this week, this is an awesome dessert for…sitting on the couch watching Drugs, Inc on the Justice Network (who needs cable when you have local channels??). Bowl of dairy-free lemon pudding in one hand, gluten-free cookie chunks in the other. DUNK, DUNK.
Pudding has always been a fave dessert of mine. Growing up the dessert my dad made us, besides Pepperidge Farms freezer turnovers, was stovetop chocolate pudding. He still makes it! I come over and see the familiar kitchen towel drape, placed over 4 small bowls, and I know without looking under – chocolate pudding. I always liked the crusty layer that forms on top – pour some nonfat (“blue”) milk overtop and scoop out a little well, allowing the milk to pool inside. Aaand I’m drooling.
These are a cleaned up version of that pudding classic. I use a small amount of beef gelatin to help the coconut milk thicken, eggs yolks, tart lemon juice, and sweet maple syrup. The gluten free crumblies are made from oats, almond meal, dates, egg, vanilla, and coconut oil. Relatively few ingredients, a little effort, and you’ve got a cold, creamy dessert for sharing – or not.
Dairy Free Lemon Pudding Parfaits
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup pitted dates - (about 6), chopped
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp grass-fed beef gelatin
- 1 cup coconut milk - (fat to only, from 2 cans)
- 1/4 cap maple syrup - , less if you like tart
- 3 egg yolks - , beaten untill lighter and thicker
Make Cookie Crumble
- Preheat to 350
- Process oats in a food processor until fairly fine. Add almond meal and chopped dates and blend until blended. Add remaining ingredients and blend until dough pulls together.
- Dump onto parchment paper lined baking sheet and press till flat about 1/3" thick.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes
- Let cool and harden slightly until you can break into desired crumble size.
Dairy Free Lemon Pudding
- Add beef gelatin to lemon juice and whisk to combine. Let sit and bloom 5-10 minutes.
- Combine coconut milk and maple syrup in a sauce pan. Add lemon/gelatin mix and bring to boil. Pull off heat.
- Pour small portions of whisked eggs at a time and whisk vigorously until all combined return to heat and continue stirring until it boils again, reduce to a simmer and keep stirring until it begins to thicken and coats a spoon 10-15 minutes,
- Remove from heat and stir in 1 tsp lemon zest
- Pour in a bowl and put in fridge - let set overnight.
- Layer pudding and crumbled cookie into 4 bowls or mason jars. Top with whipped cream. I used So Delicious coconut whipped topping (its like a dairy-free Cool Whip).