Oooof these are some good ass burgers. My adventures in learning to love salmon are going GREAT. Do you love salmon, being frugal, and savory flavors. These are going to be your new meatless monday go-to.
Reasons to LOVE on these fish cakes:
- Stretch your dollar. 12 oz (or 1 lb if you are using fresh) will make you four meals instead of two.
- Never throw away leftover rice
- These freeze and reheat well so you can use them for meal prep
Now – one final and super important question: are you the kind of person who reheats fish at work in the microwave – or are you not? I am PRO fish wave’n. If I’ve got a fish burger it’s getting heated, regardless of your nose sensitivity. Big D says there is an unspoken rule that no one should ever microwave fish, especially at work. To that I say – YOLO.
Cooked rice mixes with salmon, cilantro, onion and egg makes a moist, dense burger.
- 2 cans wild caught Salmon,
- 1/2 cup cooked rice, (1/4cup uncooked)
- 1/3 cup white onion, minced
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, mined
- salt (about 1/2 tsp)
- black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 1 tbsp avocado, olive, or refined coconut oil, for frying
Cook rice and salmon, if needed.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and shape into 4 equal patties
Heat 1 tbsp oil over med heat. Add patties to hot oil. Cook until fairly brown and the patty releases itself (about 5-8 minutes per side.
Top with lime, arugula, avocado
You can use canned salmon (I used Wild Planet, its super good. You can also cook salmon and the crumble it after. Cans are 6 oz each, so i would buy at least 3/4 to a 1lb of salmon if using fresh.