Is the Instant Pot actually all that?? Isn’t it just another appliance taking up space?? Yes, but it’s an appliance taking up space that made applesauce, unattended, in 15 minutes while I cleaned the bathroom.
I know, I know, the pressure cooker phase is at an all time high in the Pinterest world! It very *in* to have an Instant Pot. So I get why ya’ll wonder if it’s earned all the hype.
The hype is REAL. Here is why – speed and no babysitting. Close that lid and peace out. But not for 8 hours like every slow cooker recipe. So the pressure cooker is the answer to your meal prep prayers. Enter – applesauce.
Sidebar – have you guys heard of Imperfect Produce? Quick summary, they deliver produce to your house that would have otherwise gone to waste. Food waste is a shitty problem. People are eating fish sandwiches from McDonalds while the ugly, small, semi-old fruits and veggies go in the trash. Saaadd.
But man sh*t I got a load of apples! Can we talk about fruit as a snack for a sec? If I’m having an apple for my snack, there’s a scoop of peanut butter with it. Apple alone? In hand? meh? hard pass.
Apple SAUCE on the other hand… this I can get behind. Did you guys used to bend the foil lid on the apple sauce cups and use it like a spoon/scoop/shovel? Classic move.
And THIS apple sauce has no added sugar – just dates. A date is another piece of fruit so let’s just called this fruit puree and call ourselves
Why this recipe will make you happy:
- no added sugar (fruit IS sugar, yo)
- no plastic cups
- tastes like dessert in the afternoon
- perfect meal prepped snack
Instant Pot Apple Sauce (with Dates & NO added sugar)
- 3 apples - peeled and chopped
- 3 pears - peeled and chopped
- 6 dates - pits removed and chopped
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- Put peeled and chopped apples, pears, and dates into the instant pot. My pot was filled to the ~4cup line.
- Add cinnamon, juice of one lemon, and water.
- Hit "porridge" or cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Quick release. Then use an immersion blender to blend to desired consistency.You could use a real blender too - just know it will be hot AF!