meatless Monday strikes again! Recipe inspiration- exhibit A:
If that isn’t the most massive sweet tater you have ever seen – ?? Are you seeing the scale here? I used 3 cups for this soup and still had 3 cups left. WHO do you think took care of the rest? – exhibit B:
So back to the soup:
- easy. instant pot. i’ll say it again. a must have.
- green. full of veggies.
- spicy. Spice makes everything nice.
- cheap. mushrooms are the most expensive items in this dish.
- zero plastic. none of these ingredients required plastic to purchase them (well, the kale had a little wire-tie thing around it…).
**I challenge you to see if you can make one meal this week that did touch a piece of single use plastic.**
Tangy verde with sweet potatoes, mushrooms, and kale. Veggie party with a chile verde twist!
- 1 lb tomatillos husks removed and washed
- 2 poblano peppers
- 3 jalapeno peppers
- 1 white onion (medium sized, peeled and quartered
- 2 cup water
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz shittake mushrooms stems removed and sliced 1/4″ thick
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 white sweet potatoes (3 cups 1/2″ square chopped)
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (full fat)
- 1 bunch kale any style, about 2 cups packed
Turn on broiler.
On a cookie sheet, lay out the tomatillos, peppers, and onion. Broil for 10 minutes, flip, broil 5 minutes.
Add broiled items to a blender. Add water and cilantro and blend until smooth. Set aside.
Add olive oil, garlic and mushrooms to Instant Pot – turn on “Saute” function. Saute for about 3 minutes to wilt mushrooms but careful not to burn garlic.
Note: if things get going to fast, pull the Instant Pot insert out (its HOT careful). Wait for it to cool a bit and set it back in.
Add blended liquid, sweet taters, salt, cumin. Cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
Manually release pressure. Add coconut milk and kale. Close lid again and let kale wilt for 5-8 minutes.
Tortilla chips give an awesome crunch on top. So do these cheez-it tasting pepitas! “Cheesy” and crunchy.
This has a little heat to it. If you aren’t into that, reduce the jalapenos to one. I love spice so i add some fresh on top at the end.